Monday, June 18, 2012

Addison Kim In Focus


       As a member of Team Southern Rock and the infamous Dirty South Climbers, Addison Kim climbs, trains and competes mainly indoors but has an affinity for outdoor life as well. After a training session preparing himself for a coming up National Competition in Atlanta, Rock V5 Role had a chance to sit with an endorphin hopped Addison and ask him to share with the readers a little about the role climbing culture plays in his life off the rock.



Rock V5 Role: What’s your favorite brand of climbing clothes?

Addison Kim: Prana shorts, best overall, breath well, and none restricting.

RvR: What’s your favorite climbing shoe?

Kim: Right now im climbing in 5.10 Dragons, Five Ten rubber is the stickiest but in terms of fit, I really like the La Sportiva Testerosas, if there could be a marriage between the two that would be the perfect shoe.

RvR: What about fashion outside of the gym and off the wall, do you bring the outdoor brands to school?

Kim: I change it up a bit, in the gym or at the crag I’m in Northface and Prana. At school or whatever I generally wear Urban Outfitters and Topman.

RvR: What is Topman?

Addison: Topman is a British design company I Enjoy, Got a lot clothes there, but its all about continuity and symmetry.

RvR:  What music do you listen to when training for a competition?

Kim:  Depends on what I’m doing, if I’m climbing long endurance moves I’ll listen to calm folk music to kinda get into the zone. If I’m speed climbing or bouldering I’ll listen to rap or something to get psyched with high energy, oh and Dubstep….you know…

RvR: You mentioned Dubstep, I’ve noticed gyms in the DFW have been playing Dubstep on the loud speakers more often than welcomed, Is that your fault?

Kim: Ha, yes!!...not.

RvR: Who is your Favorite Dj?

Kim: Skrillex

RvR: Any fun Concerts recently?

Kim: Well I was disappointed I had to miss Meltdown, I was in Colorado.

RvR: Rock V5 Role missed Meltdown too . Meltdown vs. Teva, Teva won that round!. Do you have any upcoming concerts in mind?

Kim: A friend and I are really psyched about IDENTITY in August.  It’s a festival with a bunch of cool djs and stuff.

RvR: We will keep that in mind. If you could choose one song off the top of your head that you want the readers to listen to what would it be and why?

Kim: The Blowers Daughter by Damien Rice, that one is about nonreciprocating love and heartache. It's a personal song about loving a violin teacher back home, lots of soul, conviction and Damien has a fantastic voice.

RvR: Thanks for your time and insight into the seedy underworld of climbing culture.

Kim: Ha Ha, any time!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Rock Vs Role Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger